Monday, March 12, 2012

A Moment for Motivation on a Monday...

Take a Moment for Prayer Please
(Our Father & Hail Mary)


"Good morning everyone, and welcome!" May you have a blessed and joyful Monday.
I am a very visual person, and you will find that on all my post I have a picture. For those of you who follow me, you may recognize this picture. I could not help but use it again for today's message, and look what is above the sign STOP. It says chant-song and through song is how I am going to begin...
In the beginning of the season of Lent I attended mass on Ash Wednesday, and the priest delivered relevant message that I connected to.

 It was about signs in our environment. The song "Signs" is by a Canadian rock group called Five Man Electrical Band. The song was released during an era of political and social change. It was a time of intolerance and exclusion. Within the song you will find an expression of frustration for a series of signs encountered displaying discrimination. In the final verse of the song, the hippie shares an experience at church after encountering a sign which read, "Everyone Welcome." Once inside the church he mentions the time of the offering, to which he realized he had no money. So, instead he wrote a note to God and gives thanks.

Now even though the song may speak of and sound oppressive, the final verse has great meaning. We are all made in the image and likeness of God. " The moment you give thanks & affirm self-respect, you are taking a step forward in healing." I chose the "Stop" sign to remind us to take a moment in our morning's to put God first and give thanks. At the end of the song, I love how he chose to write God a 'thank you' note for an offering. In the season of Lent and our everyday lives, we are called to offer up our temple (bodies), heart, and lives to God for purification. 

The song notes that the experience of church that begins when the hippie reads the sign of "Welcome Everyone." And yes, God welcomes and desires relationship with everyone. God oppresses no one, and holds no discrimination. God is Love! He longs for us to return to him, to seek him. Just as I am a visual learner, society takes advantage using visuals for one of their main marketing tools. The song "Signs" expresses frustration towards the discrimination that is encountered throughout his world. The truth be expressed. Oppression and discrimination is not just in a specific era, it exist very much in our world today. Everywhere we turn, look, or even listen we can easily be persuaded or influenced through a message that can be toxic.  

So, I encourage us all (even myself) to take a moment to start our days with God. When we put God first all else will follow. It may seem coincidental thereafter, however there is no such thing of coincident in a world that our Lord created. It is through the power of the Holy Spirit that God moves mountains. For example, I was reminded through my child about this very topic of thanks. My daughter was whining and I found myself explaining to her about being appreciative and being thankful. It was then, that I was listening to my own words and I was reminded that I too need to do the same. God uses any kind and all kinds of ways to cleanse us and draw us closer to him. 

We must first seek, surrender, and sail along the waves of change. In that we will be thankful and appreciate the beauty of our creator. Choose not the influence of oppression around us, but seek God first and he will always take of you; he will always love you.

Much love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment