Friday, November 18, 2011

Passionist Struggle Too


I, as a Community Passionist Partner stumbled upon the beauty of a reality. That even Saint Gabriel, also a Passionist struggled a lot with trials throughout his life...
For those of you who do not know, my daughter was born with a Cleft lip. Her pallet was fine, at least to our understanding upon her birth. As she got older and her baby teeth grew in, we noticed a gap in the front of her mouth where she had a missing tooth. We talked with the doctor's, and everything was up-in-the-air as to what was to come in her future.
Well, just the other weekend her front tooth came out unexpectedly. Once it fell out, a portion of another tooth was visible and seem to be growing in a diagonal. We decided to take her for some x-rays. So, yesterday fearfully I took her to the dentist to see what her possibilities were of  a normal mouth. As her mother, having been in education as a teacher, and having had a rough upbringing and school years my nervousness set in.
I had always been as open as I could within a safe boundary, to share with her how God made her. Well, now that she in kindergarten and this new situation came up...the mommy in me wanted to just protect her and avoid any possible opportunities for her to hear something bad.
Wow, Gabriela exemplified a pure meekness throughout her whole experience. I think perhaps God was teaching me something through my own daughter. They (dentist) had to take x-rays over and over again due to the difficulty in really seeing inside her mouth and the direction of her adult teeth. She was patient, calm, showed no fear, and smiled with acceptance of her situation. In the end, we will have to take her back to visit with an Orthodontist to get his opinion in what steps should be done to help assist in normalcy for her mouth.
As night came my way, my emotions swirled inside with contemplation and sadness for my daughter. I stumbled upon a crucifix in my home with the face of Jesus. Every time I see this, I thank Jesus for the cross. As a Passionist, we focus on the cross and the suffering. After thanking God, he guided me to read about Saint Gabriel, a Passionist. And of course, I had brought this book home to begin with because of the fact that I named Gabriela after the angel Gabriel, and here is a Passionist named Gabriel. I thought for sure I could gain some wisdom from him... So, of course God spoke to me in many ways about our situation. I will never really, truly know the effects internally on her soul. Of what my daughter's experience in life with her birth defect will bring. But, what I do know is...I can denounce it as a defect and fully give myself to God, through acceptance and faith. His purpose is to the greater glory, the greater good.
For me, the virtue of Hope is is a bit challenging. I do not lack trust in the Lord, but I face the temptation of presumption. So, surrendering my will is greater. Let Go, and Let God.
Now about Saint Gabriel the Passionist, my daughter, and myself...
Saint Gabriel from early childhood was faced with dreadful trials of death many times. He struggled throughout his life with trials, facing emotions he did not want to surrender to. Yet, he was a peacemaker with charm  and meekness. A biblical meekness is what he defined. Very different from the dictionary definition. The beauty is that through my experience at the dentist, Gabriela too exemplified the biblical meekness. That to which was a lesson for me to reflect and meditate on. Meekness  is an internal and external conduct between man and God. It is a correct assessment of personal rights. She could carry a bitterness around towards God and others pertaining to her lip but, she forgives. Saint Gabriel and my daughter Gabriela usually have a tempered judgement and avoid an overload. Meekness is a virtue that determines how much peace and contentment one has in their lives, and how well they do during life's trials.
Saint Gabriel faced such trials with his thoughts and emotions that he would actually experience exhaustion. However, he was a fighter and victorious. He will always be remembered in history as a man with  love for others, giving himself completely. On his death bed, his love for God was full of passion, song, and poetry.
WOW! That is the innocence and love that we can see in our own children. Meekness, thank you God for teaching me, and giving me a goal.
Sharing all this with you  is worthwhile. It has value for everyone. The more one is in love, the greater their life experience will be. As a dedication to my loving daughter Gabriela, please adventure to love as God loves us. You can also explore an act of charity by visiting Smile Train at: www.smiletrain.org  If you make a donation, please make a tribute to honor my daughter Gabriela Acosta.
You can change the future of a child!
Much Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment