Monday, November 28, 2011

"Run With Perseverance"

Motivational Monday


"...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1)


The other day I was on a run and I noticed that I was much more drawn to the surface of the trail, rather than the pavement. Then, I saw a clear analogy of life... The path along the trail had a surface that varied, and unless I kept my eyes open straight ahead there was no way to know what obstacles I would face. My heart smiled as my mind meditated on this visualization, and my legs persevered.
Along the trail I saw the following obstacles: light/dark, holes, tree branches, mud, rocks, hills, leaves, plants, insects, animals, and a terrain of inconsistency. I thought this is very much like our path in life; this is much of our adventure along our path through this season of Advent. However, there is something that stood out the most...that was the inconsistency along the path. If I were to run along a trail with my eye's closed, I would not see my obstacles and most likely seriously injure myself. The key here is: my eye's need to be open and seeking in order to persevere. So, I am the one to take responsibility and keep my eye's open to continue to seek and persevere.
The word Advent means "coming." How are we to know what is to come without responsibility and if our eye's stay closed? Along the path God promises us of human belonging is: darkness, light, sorrow, goodness, beauty, fullness, and a mystery that remains. Our path in life is a process. God is mysterious but, he is also the source of all love.
Advent is a time to...
  1. "Slow Down." Spend time in silence, meditating on our human condition. Especially during this Holiday   season of shopping till' you drop! Remember who this season is about. Do not take the "Christ" out of Christmas.
  2. "Pray More." Perhaps you have slowed down in prayer or do not pray at all. Now is your time. Or, maybe you already do and need some change. Prayer is received through many ways...thoughts, song, worship, talking, meditation, internal/external, writing, poem, Biblical, devotions, etc. Step out of our comfort zone.
  3. "Confession." Self-reflection, responsibility, seeking the truth, surrender, and conversion of one's heart and actions.
This is a time of preparation, anticipation, alertness, and giving. It is a time to proclaim the birth of Christ and Hope. As we move through this time, I encourage us all to seek and persevere though our obstacles along the trail we run. Wisdom, Joy, and Peace awaits us all. Let this Christmas day to come, be full of that and not spiritually unsatisfying.

Much Love always! "Peace be with you."



No comments:

Post a Comment